Deadline: June 30, 2021
Applications are open for the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) Fellowship Program 2021. The SCAR Fellowship Program is designed to encourage the active involvement of early-career researchers in furthering our understanding of Antarctica.
The Fellowships enable early-career researchers to join a project team from another country, opening up new opportunities and often creating partnerships that last many years and over many Antarctic research seasons.
The Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) initiated the SCAR Fellowship Program in 2002. The aim was to encourage the active involvement of early-career researchers in Antarctic scientific research and to build new connections and further strengthen international capacity and cooperation in Antarctic research. Since the initiation of the program, more than 60 SCAR Fellowships have been awarded.
- There are 4-5 awards for 2021. Up to USD $15,000 per award;
- Home institute to bear in-home country costs (e.g. visa costs, domestic travel);
- Host institute to waive bench fees, if any.
- Open to current PhD researcher or within 5 years of finishing PhD;
- Be visiting an Antarctic research facility in or run by a SCAR member country, which is different from applicant’s country of origin and current country of residence;
- Should contribute to the objectives of one or more of SCAR’s science groups, including the Humanities and Social Sciences group, and/or the Scientific Research Programs.
For 2021, to reflect the impact of Covid19-related travel restrictions, applicants are able to propose partly or entirely remote Fellowships. There will also be greater flexibility with the timing of the awards, so that they may be delayed until the planned travel is possible.
Elements of the application:
- Research Proposal – Prepared following the guidelines given in the Research Proposal section of the Application Pack. The Applicant must have the Research Proposal (with relevant appendices) as a single document, ready to be uploaded during the application process;
- Home Institute Agreement and Reference – Applicant to send Home Institute Agreement to the Home Institute Referee, and the Referee to return it to the Applicant, along with the reference letter, as a single document, ready to be uploaded during the application process;
- Host Institute Agreement – Applicant to send Host Institute Agreement to the Host Institute Referee, and the Host to return it to the Applicant, ready to be uploaded during the application process;
- Online Application Form – to be completed by the Applicant by the deadline of June 30, 2021.
For more information, visit SCAR Fellowship.