Deadline: August 29, 2021
Proposals are invited for the Smart Scholars Program 2021. The Smart Museum of Art supports excellence in undergraduate education at the University of Chicago by expanding opportunities for object-centered inquiry.
The Smart Scholars Program is designed to foster an expanded range of scholarly and creative expressions for undergraduate researchers interested in the visual arts. This program supports research opportunities at the Smart Museum of Art resulting in an original creative work (such as visual art, music, dance, writing, etc.), program, or scholarly essay. Students propose their own projects grounded in academic research into one or more objects in the Museum’s collection. For example, this research can propose utilizing library, database, archive, conservation, materials science laboratory, or another museum’s resources to pursue the realization of the proposed project.
- Academic research into one or more objects in the collection of the Smart Museum of Art.
- Regular meetings with a mentor from any of the Smart Museum’s departments (to be assigned).
- Successful completion of the proposed project.
- Hybrid position (on-site at the Smart Museum and independent remote work).
- Successful proposals will be awarded a $4,500 stipend distributed over the course of the academic year.
- Open to undergraduate student in good standing at the University of Chicago in any major;
- Must have already completed at least one full year of undergraduate studies at the University of Chicago;
- Must be a registered student at the University of Chicago for the current academic year.
Application requirements include:
- Resume or CV (Curriculum Vitae)
- 350-word project proposal, including:
- Identification of one or more focal works from the Smart Museum of Art’s collection
- Description of work to result from research: creative work (such as visual art, music, dance, writing), program, scholarly essay, etc.
- Identification and description of any resources needed to complete research and resulting project, if applicable
- Unofficial transcript (download an unofficial copy from the Registrar’s office; do not submit a screen shot of your myuchicago page)
E-mail your completed application packet as a single PDF document to Aaron Wilder, Academic Engagement Coordinator via [email protected]
For more information, visit Smart Scholars Program.