Deadline: July 31, 2021
Applications are open for the South Africa Media Innovation Program (SAMIP) 2021. The SAMIP was established in 2017 by Media Development Investment Fund as a multi-year initiative to accelerate digital innovation and sustainability among select independent media outlets in South Africa.
The program has provided a mix of financing (grants/equity) and capacity building to a total of 24 independent media companies, non-profits and start-ups. The program now seeks to expand this cohort to include a small number of new entrants from Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe. The overall aim of the program is to diversify, strengthen and support innovation among independent media initiatives in Southern African countries, through a mix of project funding, technical support, and capacity building over a three-year period.
- Project grants of USD $5,000 – $15,000 per organization.
- Technical assistance grants of up to $1,000 USD per organization.
- Capacity-building through mentorship, coaching, workshops, and training.
- Applications are open to existing independent media companies and non-profit organizations, as well as new ventures that are less than a year old.
- Be based in Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Funding focus areas include:
- Developing new approaches to reporting and storytelling that embrace the possibilities of technology.
- Serving underserved audiences, especially along the lines of race, gender, age, income or location.
- Supporting new models for distributing news that save costs, add value, or reach new audiences.
- Creating new sources of revenue that can support media sustainability and independence.
Fill out the form by July 31, 2021 to apply to join the program. Once all applications have been assessed, shortlisted candidates will be invited to make a more detailed pitch to join the SAMIP cohort.
For more information, visit SAMIP.