Deadline: January 1, 2020
Entries are invited for the Tales of the Nature Cities Prize for Flash Fiction 2020. The prize was created to think about and discover visions of how folks, nature, and cities may be part of (or not). The theme of this yr’s tales is Metropolis in a Wild Backyard.
Write a brief story (“flash fiction”, as much as 750 phrases), set within the current or future (close to or far) and impressed by the phrase “Metropolis in a wild backyard”. You wouldn’t have to actually use this phrase in your story. It’s possible you’ll interpret liberally any of the phrases within the phrase: metropolis, wild, and backyard. Plot parts should embrace cities, nature, and folks. It must be fiction (that’s, a narrative, not an essay)—any style, from science fiction to magical realism—and might be about something: local weather change; meals safety; utopias; wild nature; a love story; … something. At TNOC, they’re very serious about imagining cities during which nature and folks co-exist, cities during which the relationships between the human-made and the pure are imagined in another way.
There can be, on the Judging Committee’s discretion, as much as 6 money-winning tales:
- One 1st place story receives $2,000;
- Two 2nd place tales obtain $1,000 every;
- Three third prize tales obtain $500 every.
- A bigger variety of tales can be included in a e book to be revealed (in late 2020 or early 2021) by Publication Studios.
The work should:
- Be 750 phrases or much less, not together with the title (i.e., “sudden fiction” or “flash fiction”);
- Be fiction (that’s, not an essay);
- Be efficiently submitted to the organizers no later than 1 January 2020;
- Be submitted by way of the competition’s web-based kind, under;
- Be set in a metropolis (the notion of “metropolis” could also be liberally interpreted);
- Embody as important plot parts each nature and folks;
- Be submitted in English (though there could also be non-English passages, for causes of storytelling);
- Be an authentic work by the submitter, to which she or he holds the rights;
- Be beforehand unpublished, not into consideration in different contests, and stay so through the length of the competition;
- Not be racist, sexist, homophobic, gratuitously violent, or in any other case offensive;
- Particular person authors (beneath precise title or pseudonym) could submit no multiple work.
- Authors have to be at the very least 16 years previous as of January 1, 2020.
Past these necessities, the work could:
- Be written by an individual of any nationality or nation of residence;
- Be of any fashion or style of fiction (realism, surrealism, sci-fi, magical realism, dystopic to utopic);
- Be set in any location;
- Be set sooner or later (close to or far) or current.
- There are not any limitations on the plot or motion of the story, aside from these talked about right here.
For extra info, go to Tales of the Nature Cities.