Application Deadline: November 1, 2018 11:59 PM EST
The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program offers in-residence opportunities for independent research or study related to Smithsonian collections, facilities, and/or research interests of the Institution and its staff. Fellowships are offered to graduate students, predoctoral students, and postdoctoral and senior investigators to conduct independent research and to utilize the resources of the Institution with members of the Smithsonian professional research staff serving as advisors and hosts. These fellowships are offered through the Smithsonian’s Office of Fellowships and Internships, and are administered under the charter of the Institution, 20 U.S. Code section 41 et seq.
Applicants who wish to conduct research at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (SAO) should go here as SAO application requirements and deadlines may be different.
The publication, Smithsonian Opportunities for Research and Study, outlines Smithsonian research activities and lists the research staff. Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact staff members to help identify potential advisors, determine the feasibility of the proposed research being conducted at the Smithsonian Institution, and the availability of relevant resources such as staff, collections, archives and library materials during the proposed tenure dates.
The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program offers fellowships for research and study in the following fields and encourages applications of an interdisciplinary nature:
- Animal behavior, ecology, and environmental science, including an emphasis on the tropics
- Anthropology, including archaeology, cultural anthropology, linguistics, and physical anthropology
- Astrophysics and astronomy
- Earth sciences and paleobiology
- Evolutionary & systematic biology
- History of science and technology
- History of art, especially American, contemporary, African, and Asian art, twentieth-century American crafts, and decorative arts
- Materials research
- Molecular biology
- Social and cultural history of the United States
- Financial support, in addition to a Smithsonian fellowship, for such purposes as research travel and equipment may be received from other sources provided that no special demands are made upon the fellow’s time. Permission to receive additional stipend support must be requested in writing from the Office of Fellowships & Internships.
Fellowship tenures must begin between June 1, 2019 and March 1, 2020. It is important that applicants consider the following factors carefully when choosing the dates for the proposed fellowship: their academic schedule; completion dates of their preliminary exams, course work, or dissertation (if applicable); the schedule of their proposed advisor/host and the availability of required resources.
Appointments of three months or longer must begin on either the 1st or 15th of the month. The dates of tenure proposed in the application (and any change of dates if the fellowship is awarded) should be selected in agreement with the proposed principal advisor.
In submitting an application for a fellowship at the Institution, the applicant does not incur any obligation to accept the appointment if selected.
Application Submission and Deadline
All applications must be submitted by November 1, 2018 11:59 PM EST through the Smithsonian Academic Appointment System (SOLAA) found at https://solaa.si.edu.
The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program (SIFP) is listed in SOLAA under the Office of Fellowships.
Notification of decisions will be made through SOLAA on March 1st.
If you have any questions about completing this application, please feel free to contact this office.
Office of Fellowships and Internships
470 L’Enfant Plaza SW, Suite 7102
MRC 902 PO Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012
INSTRUCTIONS for APPLICATION MATERIALS
Apply Through the Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment System (SOLAA)
For More Information: