Application Deadline: Friday 10th September 2021.
Reuters is looking for journalists with strong news judgement and a passion for speed and accuracy to join the Breaking News team in sub-Saharan Africa. The successful candidates will be part of a high-performing team, covering breaking news across a range of topics, from sending headlines and newsbreaks in real time, to writing updates, quick sidebars and compelling, visually-led human interest features.
The Breaking News Correspondents will be on the front lines of the most important, competitive and exciting stories coming out of sub-Saharan Africa. They will work under the direction of the Breaking News Editor for sub-Saharan Africa and coordinate closely with text and visuals colleagues across the continent.
The position can be based in Johannesburg, Lagos, Nairobi or Dakar.
As a Breaking News Correspondent for Sub-Saharan Africa, you will:
- Monitor a range of sources for key economic, corporate and general news developments
- Use social media to identify and report stories on news, trends and viral moments in sub-Saharan Africa
- Write fast and accurate headlines and stories under time pressure, across a range of topics
- Work with colleagues across the continent and across multiple areas of coverage
To be one of our Breaking News Correspondents, you will likely:
- Have strong news judgement across the file
- Be able to filter quickly through complex information to identify and explain key news elements
- Be fluent in English, with strong English writing skills. French or Portuguese would be a plus.
- Be a fast learner and team player
- Have strong communications skills and an ability to work calmly under pressure
- Have at least three years’ experience working in a news organisation
At Reuters, our people are our greatest assets. Here are some of the benefits we offer for your personal and professional growth:
- Global Career: As a global company, we can offer a truly international career and progression opportunities
- Learning & Development: we have a dedicated training team focused on the continuous development of our employees
- Benefits: we offer competitive salary packages and market leading benefits
- Perks: Work alongside Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists and a team who provide unmatched, award-winning coverage of the world’s most important stories
For More Information: