Deadline: September 14, 2018
Applications for the TWAS-CNPq Postgraduate Fellowship Programme 2018/2019 are open. The National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq) in Brasilia, Brazil, and TWAS offer full time and sandwich postgraduate fellowships to young scientists from developing countries.
TWAS-CNPq Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at research institutions in Brazil for a period of up to 12 months (Sandwich PhD) or up to four years (Full-time PhD) and are awarded to students from developing countries (other than Brazil) to enable them to pursue part or all of their research leading towards a PhD degree in the natural sciences.
- CNPq will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- There is no age limit for this programme;
- Applicants must hold a university degree in the Natural Sciences (minimum Master’s degree);
- Have good command of Portuguese and/or Spanish and/or English;
- Be a national of a developing country other than Brazil;
- Must not hold a visa for permanent or temporary residency in Brazil or in a developed country;
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution and be willing to carry out part of their PhD research (Sandwich option) or register for a full PhD degree (Full time option) in the natural sciences at a participating CAPES-listed Brazilian institution;
- Prove knowledge of Portuguese or provide a certificate of proficiency in Spanish or English (if these languages are not the candidate’s mother tongue);
- Have an updated Curriculum Vitae on CNPq’s Lattes Platform;
- Present a detailed research plan agreed by her/his host supervisor;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members;
- For SANDWICH applicants only: Provide a declaration from the home institution, which states the candidate has been officially enrolled as a PhD Student in the home country for at least 1 (one) year by the date of the application.
Applications to the TWAS-CNPq Fellowships must be submitted online only. See guidelines on online applications.
For more information, visit TWAS-CNPq Postgraduate Fellowship.