Deadline: August 10, 2021
Applications are open for the TWAS-SISSA-Lincei Research Cooperation Visits Program 2021. TWAS, in collaboration with the Lincei Academy and SISSA, offers young scientists from Least Developed Countries the opportunity to visit research laboratories at Centres of Excellence in Trieste, Italy.
Research proposals must fall under the umbrella of sustainability science and thus be relevant to areas that support the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The purpose of these exchange fellowships is two-fold:
- to enhance the research capacity of promising scientists, especially those at the beginning of their research career,
- to catalyze the formation of research links for further collaboration.
- The Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Italian Agency for Development Cooperation, through TWAS, will cover travel expenses and provide subsistence costs for the stay in Italy. The administration and financial operation of TWAS is undertaken by UNESCO in accordance with an agreement signed by the two organizations.
- Applicants must be a maximum age of 40 years on December 31 of the application year.
- Applicants must hold an MSc (or higher degree).
- Applicants must be nationals of a Least Developed Country.
- Applicants must hold a research position in a Least Developed Country.
- Particular attention will be given to research projects that fall under the umbrella of sustainability science.
- Women scientists are especially encouraged to apply.
- Applicants already on site in the host country are not eligible.
- Only applications in the scientific fields specified below and listed in the application form will be considered.
Eligible Host Institutions
Eligible host institutions are the following:
- International School for Advanced Studies – SISSA
- International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology – ICGEB
- National Institute for Nuclear Physics – INFN (only one host supervisor available: Prof. Andrea Vacchi)
- National Institute of Oceanography and Applied Geophysics – OGS
- Materials Foundry-National Research Council – IOM-CNR
The following material are requested:
- the completed application form;
- copy of passport, even if expired (only the page with personal details is required);
- the applicant’s curriculum vitae;
- a statement on scientific interests and future plans for research in sustainability sciences in the home country explicitly referring to which SDGs contributions are likely to be made;
- full list of publications (do not enclose reprints of articles);
- copy of the MSc (or higher) certificate;
- a recent invitation letter obtained through one of the eligible host laboratories listed above which should contain the proposed time of the visit (3 months) and should refer to the proposed cooperation. It should be made evident that the applicant and the proposed host have been in contact regarding the scientific work to be done during the visit and that the conditions for conducting the work have been agreed in terms of the timing of the visit and the facilities available;
- recent letters of recommendation, which must be submitted separately to TWAS by two referees who are familiar with the applicant’s work. N.B. Only signed reference letters can be accepted.
Applicants need to submit the complete application form duly signed and send it to the TWAS Secretariat. Applications may be sent by email as long as pages with signatures are sent as scanned documents. Incomplete/unsigned applications will NOT be accepted.
For more information, visit TWAS-SISSA-Lincei.