Due Date: September 9, 2019
Applications are open for the UNESCO Avicenna Reward for Ethics in Science 2019 This year the reward will reward activities of people or groups in the field of advancing the “Principles of Environment” with an unique thematic concentrate on principles of environment modification and ecological sustainability.
UNESCO welcomes Members States in assessment with their Nationwide Commissions, non-governmental companies in main collaboration with UNESCO, different expert, scholastic and non-governmental companies active in the field of principles of science and innovation, members of pertinent UNESCO’s skilled bodies and UNESCO’s partners, to propose prospects for the UNESCO Avicenna Reward for Ethics in Science 2019.
About the Reward
Developed in 2003 by the Executive Board of UNESCO at its 166 th session on the effort of the Islamic Republic of Iran, this Reward, granted every 2 years, is planned to reward the activities of people and groups in the field of principles in science. By hence promoting ethical reflection on concerns raised by advances in science and innovation, it is anticipated to assist substantially to increase global awareness and highlight the significance of principles in science.
The Reward owes its name to the popular 11 th-century doctor and thinker of Persian origin understood in Europe as Avicenna (980-1038). A therapist and a humanist, Avicenna established an excellent holistic technique that records the essence of principles in science and has actually hence concerned work as a source of motivation for the promo of this issue, which is of main significance to UNESCO.
- The Reward includes a gold medal of Avicenna together with a certificate, the amount of USD 50,000, and a one-week scholastic check out to the Islamic Republic of Iran, which is to consist of the shipment of speeches in the pertinent scholastic events, arranged for this function by the Federal government of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
The function of the Reward is to reward activities in the field of principles in science, consisting of:
- Top quality ethical academic reflection and research study on concerns raised by current clinical and technological advances;-LRB- ****************) significant contributions to supplying guidance to policy-makers on ethical concerns in research study and advancement in order to develop and support science principles policies and committees;-LRB- **************).
- Activities focused on establishing education and training relating to the ethical measurements of science;-LRB- **************).
- Exceptional contributions to promoting science interaction, public awareness and dispute on the principles of science and innovation.
- Users with UNESCO accounts can send candidatures online
- Other possible submitters are welcomed to ask for an account here The account will permit online submission of the election.
Download the election kind:
If the election needs to be sent out by postal services, the total file must be sent out in 3 ‘paper copies’, or copied on 3 digital assistances (USB, CD or DVD). Applications need to be resolved to the Secretariat of the Reward.
Secretary of the UNESCO Avicenna Reward for Ethics of Science
Chief of the Bioethics and Ethics of Science Area
Social and Human Being Sciences Sector
7, location de Fontenoy
75732 Paris Cedex 07 SP France
Tel.: +33(0 )1 45 68 06 54/ ext. 14 08
Email: avicenna.prize( at) unesco.org
To learn more, see UNESCO Avicenna Reward