Application Deadline:February 14, 2022.
USIP has long been engaged in supporting women peacebuilders in countries affected by conflict—including civil society leaders and peace negotiators in Afghanistan, mediators in Colombia, women-led organizations preventing violent extremism in the Horn of Africa and the Sahel, advocates for gender equality in Pakistan, religious leaders across the Middle East advancing the rights of women and girls, and leaders of nonviolent movements around the globe.
The Women Building Peace Award both reflects the Institute’s comprehensive commitment to gender and peacebuilding and demonstrates the important role women play in peacebuilding efforts.
Every nominee must meet all of the five requirements listed below in order to move forward in the nomination application process.
- The nominee must be a woman of at least 18 years of age.
- The nominee must be a non-U.S. citizen.
- The nominee must be working to build peace in a fragile or conflict-affected country or region.
- The nominee cannot be employed by USIP or have been affiliated with USIP as a contractor, grantee, fellow or recipient of the Women Building Peace Award during the 24 months prior to the submission of this nomination application.
- The nominee must not have been nominated for the Women Building Peace Award in the past two years.
The award honors a woman peacebuilder who has made a substantial contribution to the pursuit of peace and security in her community, region, or issue area. The annual award recipient is chosen with the help of the Women Building Peace Council. The Council is a brain trust of distinguished experts and leaders who offer their guidance and support to USIP as we elevate the voices of women peacebuilders. Drawing upon their collective expertise in the fields of gender and peacebuilding, the Council’s core role is to help select the finalists and the awardee of the annual Women Building Peace Award.
Nominees should demonstrate the following four qualities:
- Commitment to Peace: A woman who shows a commitment to peace through her work to prevent or resolve conflict nonviolently in a fragile or conflict-affected country or region.
- Exceptional Leadership: A woman who embodies exceptional leadership through her vision and innovation and has earned the respect of others in the pursuit of peace.
- Outstanding Practitioner: A woman who is a peacebuilding practitioner working with members of local, national or international communities in an inclusive and participatory manner.
- Substantial Impact: A woman whose peacebuilding work has led to tangible results.
Nomination applications are to be submitted using the FLUXX online portal. Only those nominating applicants for the award must register for an account. The women who are nominated do not register for a FLUXX account.
The nomination application process comprises two steps.
- FLUXX Account Registration (Account Registration is not the nomination application)
Nominators must first register for an account in order to gain access to the nomination application.
- Open the FLUXX registration page at https://usip.fluxx.io/user_sessions/new.
- Click “Register for an account” on the right side of the page.
- Select “Women Building Peace Award” as the competition type.
- Enter the required information in the Primary Contact Information section and click “Submit Request.”
- Within one business day, nominators will receive a FLUXX confirmation email containing a username and password.
- All nominators must register for a FLUXX account by 2:00pm EST on Monday, February 7, 2022.
- Nomination Application Submission
Once a nominator receives login credentials, they may begin the nomination application.
- Open the FLUXX application page https://usip.fluxx.io.
- Enter the username and password sent in the FLUXX confirmation email.
- Click “Draft Nominations” in the left toolbar to create a blank draft nomination.
- Begin entering information in the nomination application.
- Save the nomination application and click “submit” once it is complete.
- Nominators will receive a confirmation that their nomination has been received.
- All completed nomination applications must be received by 2:00pm EST on Monday, February 14, 2022.
For More Information: