Due Date: October 15, 2019
Applications for University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars (UMAPS) Program 2020 are now open. The UMAPS Program brings early profession professors from African universities to Ann Arbor, Michigan. Scholars are coupled with a professors partner throughout their stay and have complete access to the University of Michigan’s resources to enhance their deal with a research study task, a scholastic degree, publications, grant proposition, or other appropriate activity.
The program supports the advancement of the next generation of African scholars by incorporating them into global scholastic networks, and promotes U-M’s global dedication to research study and mentor partnerships throughout varied disciplines, from engineering to literature to economics.
Beginning in 2020, the program will host 2 accomplices each year (August through December, and January through May). Candidates will have the chance to show their choice for a specific accomplice throughout the application procedure.
Those confessed to the UMAPS Program will get:
- 5 months of residency at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, coupled with a professors partner with complete access to the university’s resources
- Round-trip air travel from their house nation to Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Complimentary real estate, medical insurance coverage, a research study allowance, and a modest stipend to cover living ( Crucial note: The UMAPS program is not able to accommodate partners and/or dependents)
- Office/Laboratory area
- Chance to present research study to the U-M neighborhood
All candidates need to:
- Be an early profession professor who has actually taught in the college system for less than 10 years, currently teaching in a college or university in Africa
- Have the ability to show assistance from house organization with recommendation letter from head of department, dean, or vice chancellor
- Have the ability to stay in house for 5 months
* Previous receivers of the UMAPS fellowship are not qualified to use. Choice will be offered to candidates without substantial global experience outside the continent.
Evaluation and choice will be made by a multidisciplinary professors committee at the University of Michigan and will be based upon the following:
- Academic quality of the prospect and of the proposed program of scholarship
- Academic fit of the prospect with others picked in the cycle and with the locations of interest explained in the Scholarly Program area below– it is our want to help with academic networks
- Equitable representations of scholars lined up with ASC’s 3 disciplinary efforts
- Assistance of the prospect’s house organization
Concern will be offered to prospects from disadvantaged backgrounds. Promo of gender equity in the present class of scholars and in the African academy will likewise be focused on. Choice will be offered to prospects who do not have considerable global experience outside the continent.
- UMAPS accepts direct applications from professor of colleges or universities in Ethiopia, Ghana, Liberia, South Africa, and Uganda.
- Professor of institution of higher learnings in all other African nations can just use to the UMAPS program upon election by a U-M professor with whom they have a pre-existing relationship.
For more details, go to UMAPS Program