Deadline: September 30, 2020
Applications are open to participate in the 3rd Edition of the Migration Youth Forum and the 1st Edition of the Youth Leadership and Innovation Award for Migration in January 2021.
The annual Global Forum on Migration and Development (GFMD) summit is a state-led, informal, and non-binding process which helps shape the global debate on migration and development. This year, youth will sit at the same table as governments, mayors, business leaders, and civil society stakeholders to discuss common migration policy priorities and actions at the GFMD. That is why UN MGCY is organizing in partnership with UNICEF and IOM:
The Migration Youth Forum
Who will be at the Youth Forum? 70 young people, including young migrants and refugees, representatives of civil society organizations led by or working for youth, researchers, entrepreneurs, professionals, volunteers, activists, leaders. All under the age of 31 and strongly committed to working with and for migrants in their communities. They aim for a balanced representation and an inclusive and diverse Forum when it comes to gender, age, socio-economic background, culture, religion, ethnicity and geography. The Youth Forum will be a peer-to-peer space to learn about the importance of the GFMD and how to contribute to it effectively, as well as provide a solid network of support during the days of the Summit. The Migration Youth Forum will be held right before the XIII Global Forum on Migration and Development (GFMD) Summit.
The Youth Leadership and Innovation Award for Migration
In conjunction with the Migration Youth Forum, this year, they are launching a new space for young people to present their existing solutions to issues around migration and development: The Youth Leadership and Innovation Award for Migration.
The Award will showcase existing initiatives aiming to empower and improve the living conditions of young people on the move, led by youth at the XIII GFMD and receive support in their ongoing journey, with a two months mentorship program, seed funding for their initiative (TBC) and the chance to participate in the Youth Forum and be part of the GFMD process.
- The UN MGCY is working hard to raise funds to offer funding support to young participants who are in need to help cover their flights and/or accommodation. They select scholarships based on merit and need – with special attention to under-represented countries and populations.
Applicants for the Migration Youth Forum
- Applicants should be under 31;
- You are passionate about issues around migration and development;
- You have a track record of relevant leadership, research, and/or community impact in this field.
Applicants for the Youth Leadership and Innovation Award for Migration (in addition to the before mentioned eligibility criteria)
- You are leading/part of a youth-led organization or social innovation initiative, making a change for young migrants in your community.
- Your initiative have potential for scaling/replication.
Note: there is only one application form, in which you will be asked to indicate whether your primary interest is the Youth Forum or the Innovation Award. If you apply for the Award, your application will also be automatically considered for the Youth Forum.
For more information, visit UNMGCY.