Due Date: May 31, 2019
Application are open for the UNU-WIDER Summertime School 2019 UNU-WIDER, in partnership with the Advancement Policy Research Study System (DPRU) at University of Cape Town (UCT), is releasing a brand-new, two-week extensive Summertime School on used labour economics.
The course will happen in Cape Town throughout 18-29 November2019 The objective of the training is to supply early-career scholars in the Global South with an understanding of the theories, techniques and information schedule for carrying out top quality analysis of used labour economics.
Course Summary and Goal
The Summertime School will supply individuals with a toolkit in applied economics with unique concentrate on the quantitative analysis of labour markets in establishing nations. Throughout the 2 weeks, individuals will participate in lectures provided by leading professionals from UNU-WIDER’s international network and work intensively in the information laboratory to reinforce quantitative research study abilities. Beyond offering a methodological toolkit utilizing useful examples, among the primary objectives of this course is to sensitize individuals to the essential elements that make high-impact publications (consisting of innovativeness, capability to make causal claims/deal with concerns of endogeneity, and policy significance, among others).
Subjects that will be attended to throughout the course consist of:
- Principles in labour market economics for advancement: principles and meanings
- Theories of labour markets in establishing nations: segmented markets, policies and organizations
- Inequality, hardship, and work: primary data, regression-based decay strategies
- Labour data: information sources, quality, core signs
- Applied econometric techniques for causal recognition:.
- quasi-experimental (tendency rating matching, important variables, regression discontinuity style, difference-in-differences)
- speculative: randomized control trial, lab-in-the-field
- Analysis of work shifts utilizing panel information.
- UNU-WIDER will supply effective candidates with a travel grant to cover expenses of travel to and from the house organization, lodging, and a lot of meals throughout the remain in Cape Town. Backoffice assistance will likewise be offered to acquire an entry visa to South Africa.
- Candidates need to be an early-career scientist and have actually revealed capability to carry out research study on establishing economies;-LRB- ***************).
- Applications from PhD prospects who will finish the argumentation will likewise be thought about;-LRB- ***************).
- Prospects need to be proficient in oral and written English and have excellent quantitative analytical abilities;-LRB- ***************).
- Application is open to scientists from universities and research study institutes in Africa and other establishing nations in Latin America and Asia;-LRB- ***************).
- Applications from appropriately certified early-career female scientists are especially motivated.
Please bear in mind that the following files are needed when sending your application:
- A research study you have (co-) authored (ideally released)
- Recommendation letter. This file needs to be sent by its signatory to [email protected] prior to 1 June and you need to supply her/his name in the application
- A brief research study proposition that you would have the ability to concretize throughout the two-week course
To learn more, check out UNU-WIDER Summertime School