Due Date: April 12, 2019
Applications for the Wangari Maathai Effect Award 2019 are open. The Maathai Effect Award motivates and acknowledges work by African innovators that reveals impactful application of artificial intelligence and expert system.
This award strengthens the tradition of Wangari Maathai in acknowledging the capability of people to be a favorable force for modification: by acknowledging concepts and efforts that show that each people, no matter how little, can make a distinction. The award will exist at the yearly Deep Knowing Indaba in August2019 They invite applications from people, groups and organisations themselves, or elections by 3rd parties.
- In collaboration with Black in AI, the winner will get a fully-sponsored journey to go to NeurIPS 2019 and the Black in AI workshop, co-located with NeurIPS, in December 2019;-LRB- **************).
- The winner will likewise be welcomed to speak at the Deep Knowing Indaba in Nairobi in August 2019, and get a prize money of KES 70,000
- The award is open to people, groups, or organisations.
- The Awards Committee thinks about impactful work to be broadly specified as any work– technological, social, or financial– that has actually had, or has the possible to favorably change our African societies. There are numerous methods to have effect, and they hope that those who will send nominations/self-nominations will be generous and imaginative in their judgement of the term ‘development’.
Examples might consist of:
- A term paper that reveals essential outcomes utilizing maker finding out to resolve essential issues that attend to food security.
- The work of an African start-up utilizing artificial intelligence, whose work is set to have favorable effect or show technical quality in their focus location.
- A person who has actually revealed a performance history of empowering people and groups impacted or included with artificial intelligence.
- Federal government firms or people contributing favorably to the policy and society discussions around artificial intelligence and expert system.
- A non-profit organisation that empowers innovators through abilities advancement or mentoring.
- A recognized organisation that has actually released artificial intelligence in an ingenious method to favorably affect their organisation and consumer experience.
- Elections can be sent out by anybody, consisting of people and organisations themselves.
- Elections are invited from any African nation.
- All supporting letters ought to remain in English (or a translation provided).
This application will need:
- Individual information about the nominator (as either a self-nominator or a 3rd party)
- Individual information about the candidate
- Information about the impactful work, consisting of why it is impactful, who it effects and why is it ingenious
- 2 supporting letters from individuals besides the nominator (this can likewise be sent by means of another type)
For more details, go to Wangari Maathai Effect Award