Deadline: October 23, 2020
Applications are open for the WGH/Novartis Foundation #BuildBackBetter Digital Innovation and AI Challenge 2020. As the world learns to live with the Corona virus, the #BuildBackBetter Digital Innovation and AI Challenge will offer a platform for women-led start-ups to advance both gender equity in health security and systems, with a special focus on low- and middle-income countries (LMICs).
Specifically, the #BuildBackBetter Digital Innovation and AI Challenge will identify innovative digital and AI solutions addressing health security during COVID-19 and future health emergencies with the potential to:
- Increase the number of women as creators of digital health and AI solutions.
- Increase the number of women as leaders of digital health and AI companies and initiatives.
- Ensure that digital health solutions enable health systems to meet the health needs of all genders.
- The winners of the challenge will be awarded $10,000 and the runners-up will receive $5,000 to develop their innovation further.
- Both the winner and the runner up will receive guidance from an innovation mentor. These mentors will be assigned by Women in Global Health.
- Your start-up must be (co-)founded by a woman;
- Your start-up must be based in a low-middle income country, as defined by the World Bank. See list of countries here.
- Your start-up must have a health emergency-focus and your idea must support greater gender parity in global health security during COVID-19 and for future pandemic preparedness;
- Your idea must be a digital or AI innovation;
- A member of your team must be available to pitch during the finals in November 2020.
- You provide two professional references. References will only be contacted if you reach the final.
- Preference will be given to WGH Chapter members and partners, but anyone can apply.
- Create a short 90 second video pitch that answers the following questions:
- How will your solution advance gender parity in global health security for COVID-19 and the future of pandemic preparedness?
- Why is your solution an innovation in digital health and AI?
- Why does your solution deserve to win this challenge?
- Upload your video pitch onto YouTube. Make sure your video pitch is private. Copy your URL as you will need it to submit your application.
- Submit your application by filling out the google form, pasting your URL and uploading a 1-page proposal that details:
- Your idea for an innovation
- The perceived impact of your innovation
- Potential scalability of the innovation
For more information, visit #BuildBackBetter Challenge.