Deadline:; September 15, 2020
Applications are invited for the Wijhat International Mobility Fund 2020 for Artist and Cultural Actors. Wijhat (Destinations) is a program developed by Culture Resource. It is designed to serve artists and cultural actors in the Arab region by offering grants to support travel both within and outside the Arab region, thereby enabling the grantees to present their works to new audiences and to engage in new and diverse inter- and intra-Arab cultural exchange experiences.
Arab artists and cultural actors face major challenges when it comes to traveling within the Arab region or abroad for professional purposes, including the scarce funding sources to help cover their travel expenses, the difficulty to obtain visas, and the few opportunities to learn about the organizations that might serve as potential partners in the processes of creative production in this region.
Such problems hamper the prospects of artists in the Arab region for career development and the acquisition of wider audiences for their creative output. They also narrow the horizons for the artists’ collaboration and exchange of ideas and expertise with their peers in the region, limit the exposure of their works internationally, and restrict cultural and professional exchange opportunities with peers outside the Arab region.
The offer grants of up to 8,000 US Dollars. The program offers 25 to 30 grants per year in three rounds. The support covers:
- Ticket costs
- Visa costs
- Accommodation and partial support for living expenses
- A recommendation letter from Culture Resource to the relevant embassy in order to support the visa application, if necessary.
- Applicants must be from an Arab country, regardless of racial or ethnic affiliation or citizenship status.
- Applicant do not necessarily have to reside in an Arab country, but the country of departure or arrival must be an Arab country.
- The grant is available for groups as well as individuals
- The program targets artists from all disciplines: visual arts, performance arts, literature, music, etc.
- The program targets cultural actors whether working independently or as members or staff of cultural initiatives or organizations.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old; otherwise, applications must be submitted by an adult on their behalf, with a written consent from their parents or guardians.
Activities Covered by the Program
The program covers all activities that offer potential beneficiaries opportunities to develop their skills and capacities, and to present their works to new audiences and potential partners who could have a positive impact on their future professional development. Such activities include:
- Artistic and cultural festivals.
- Artistic residencies.
- Forums, conferences and symposia.
- Artistic and creative production workshops.
- Trainings and capacity building workshops.
Applicants must attach with the application form the supporting documents listed below. Applications that do not include the required supporting documents will be not be considered, thus not submitted to the independent jury.
- An official invitation from a partner or host in the country of destination. (Note: In the event of the lack of a formal invitation, the application may still be accepted and assessed, but on the condition that the applicant provides another proof of acceptance, in principle, to take part in the intended activity).
- Photocopy of passport (the first two pages).
- A detailed budget for the trip.
- The program of the intended activity (i.e. a program of the festival or conference schedule) should the program be available at the time of application.
- A detailed CV for individual applicants, or a bio and an introduction to/description of the applying group. In both cases, the application should include a list of samples of previous works.
- Previous works that are in digital form (text or visual material) can be sent in one of the following ways: as a single PDF file, Word or Zipped file (not exceeding 4 MB), or as 4 JPEG files (of no more than 1 MB per file). If the previous works are audio or audiovisual recordings, include the website links where these works can be found.
Fill in the application form in Arabic and e-mail it to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, visit Culture Resource.