Application Deadline: 20 August 2018
The goal of this workshop is to empower women to become successful in their chosen profession in Science. It is acknowledged that the low number of women in science, and the sometimes- harmful working conditions that these women face, is a serious problem for the scientific community as a whole. As a step towards addressing some of these issues, three Career Development Workshops for Women in Physics were conducted at the ICTP
-Italy in 2013, 2015 and 2017.
The positive outcome of these workshops, and the fact that several women who applied were not able to participate in these earlier ones due to lack of funds or space, has
motivated some women to propose a fourth such workshop in 2018 for women in science from developing countries, especially OWSD fellows/alumnae whose research is in science.
A 4-day workshop, organized by RAWISE, OWSD and EAIFR, will be conducted at the ICTP-EAIFR premises of the University of Rwanda. A new group of women scientists will be selected for this year’s workshop, with the aim of reaching the greatest range of participants possible. The workshop will combine a variety of highly interactive exercises, talks, panel discussions, training sessions and other activities designed to help women in
science share their experiences, gain self-confidence and acquire extra skills to facilitate their success in science.
Highlights of the Workshop
- Ice-breaking activities
- Review of worldwide status of women in science
- Talks by successful women scientists
- Mini workshops on professional skills development: publishing, oral presentations, etc.
- Panel discussions: teaching, reconciling career and family, issues faced by women in the developing world
- How to cope with challenges in the workplace
- OWSD 25th Anniversary Celebrations
- This workshop is open to active women scientists (masters and doctoral levels) and those working in science teaching or related fields. There is no registration fee. A limited number of grants are available to support attendance of some selected participants. Selection of participants will be based on their education background and more opportunities will be given to OWSD fellows/alumnae in Africa.