Deadline: August 15, 2018
The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) Photo Competition 2019 is open for entries. This is annual competition to select the winning photographs for the WMO 2019 calendar. The theme is “The Sun, the Earth and the Weather” – which is also the theme of World Meteorological Day on 23 March 2019.
WMO encourages photo submissions which reflect the theme – and this can include solar flares and space weather, solar energy, as well as sunrises and sunsets. They also welcome other high-quality and artistic photographs. They are keen to encourage a good geographical balance.
No cash prize will be offered to winners of the photo contest.
Winning entries will feature in the 2019 WMO calendar, showcase on the WMO website, Flickr gallery, Instagram page and be displayed on the WMO Facebook Timeline. There will be lots of recognition but no financial reward!
- The Contest is open to all individuals and groups, regardless of age or location.
- Employees of the WMO Secretariat are prohibited from Contest entry.
- Entrants under 18 years of age may participate with the permission of their parents or legal guardians.
- Entrants are required to obtain permission from all persons appearing on photo.
- Use of copyrighted materials, is prohibited unless the entrant has written permission to use such materials.
- The entrant retains the rights to his/her photographs; however, by entering the photo contest, he/she grants WMO a non-exclusive license to display, distribute, reproduce and create derivative works of the entries and texts, in whole or in part, in any media now existing (such as publications, websites, and social media) or subsequently developed, for any educational, promotional, publicity, exhibition, archival, scholarly and all other standard purposes of WMO. Due credit will be given to the entrant each time his/her photo is used, wherever feasible. Photos and text will not be used for commercial purposes.
- Photos that have been awarded or given honourable mentions in any photo contest, either online or in print, and photos that have already been used in print or online publications (including but not limited to posters, online and print media, publicity materials, books, and articles) are not eligible. However, you may submit photos that you have already used in your personal or social spaces such as blogs, Facebook and Flickr.
- Minimal cropping is permitted. Minor adjustments, including dodging and burning, sharpening, contrast and slight color adjustments, are acceptable as long as the integrity of the original photo is maintained.
- All photos must be a minimum size of4000×3000 pixels.
- All photos must be submitted in JPEG or TIFF format (with little compression to preserve image quality.
- All photos must be in landscape format.
- Black and white photographs as well as coloured photographs will be accepted.
- All photos must be clearly captioned, including a title, a location and the date of the photograph.
Entries will narrowed down to a shortlist by a WMO panel of experts in meteorology as well as experienced professional photographers. Entries will be judged on:
- Technical quality, clarity, and composition
- Visual impact
- Novelty and flair for the unexpected
WMO will publish shortlisted photos on Facebook, allowing Facebook fans to vote for their favourite photos. The competition will also be promoted via Instagram and Twitter. The WMO jury will have the final say on the 13 photos for inclusion in the calendar, taking into account geographical balance. Other shortlisted photographs will be featured on WMO Flickr channel and at World Meteorological Day 2019 celebrations.
Take a striking photo which illustrates the themeThe Sun, the Earth and the Weatherand meets our submission guidelines.
Fill out the mandatory onlineENTRY FORMand attach your photo and submit via a dedicated page on the WMO website. Don’t forget a short explanatory caption and location for your image!
The deadline for entry is15 August 2018. Results will be announced before14 September 2018.
For more information, visitWMO Photo Competition.