Deadline: May 6, 2021
Applications are open for the Zayed Sustainability Prize 2022. The Zayed Sustainability Prize, an evolution of the Zayed Future Energy Prize, is the UAE’s pioneering global award in sustainability and a tribute to the legacy of the late founding father of the UAE, Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan.
Established in 2008, this annual award recognises and rewards the achievements of those who are driving impactful, innovative and inspiring sustainability solutions across five distinct categories: Health, Food, Energy, Water and Global High Schools.
By recognising pioneering solutions and technologies that can change the world, the Zayed Sustainability Prize, has rewarded innovators and visionaries whose achievements have furthered the global proliferation of innovative, impactful and inspirational sustainability solutions. Over 335 million people have been directly or indirectly impacted by the sustainability solutions and school projects of the 86 recipients of the Prize winners since the first awards ceremony in 2009.
- The fund allocation per category is as follows:
- Health: US$600,000
- Food: US$600,000
- Energy: US$600,000
- Water: US$600,000
- Global High Schools: US$600,000 (Divided between six school winners, each from six world regions)
- There is no alternative to the cash Award.
- The Awards shall be used by the winners, per category, to further the ideas and ambitions within the winning submissions.
- An Award may be subject to withholding tax (if applicable) and/or income tax or other applicable tax which shall be payable by the winner, as applicable. Masdar shall not be liable for any taxes which are or become payable on the Award.
- An Award may be revoked and a refund required if it is discovered that a winner has provided misleading or erroneous information within the submission or it is subsequently discovered that the submission infringes the intellectual property rights of a third party.
The Zayed Sustainability Prize is open to all entrants other than:
- Board members and employees of Masdar; and
- Anyone who has been involved in organising, promoting or judging the Prize.
The evaluation of each submission to the Prize consists of a robust, three-tier process.
- First Stage: A reputed international research and analysis consultancy firm conducts due diligence on all the submissions received. These independent consultants ensure that each entry meets the submission standards and then scores the entries against the criteria set out for the Zayed Sustainability Prize.
- Second Stage: A Selection Committee, sub-divided per category by the member’s technical specialty and/or knowledge, evaluates and scores the shortlisted candidates. They then pass on the list of finalists for the final review stage.
- Third Stage: The Jury meets, in person, to deliberate the entries and elect the winner in each category. The final decision must be unanimous. The Jury members are typically comprised of former world leaders, UAE government ministers, leading international business people and, occasionally, high profile international celebrities.
To participate in the Zayed Sustainability Prize, you will need to create an account using your email address. After an account is created, you will receive an email to validate your email account. You must verify your email address before submitting your entry.
For more information, visit Zayed Sustainability Prize.